If you’re interested in diving deeper into Italian cuisine, you may be interested in exploring recipes that use Guanciale or Lardo. These relatively hard-to-find items are perfect for the serious Italian cook.
Lardo is a salt-cured pork fat with herbs and spices. Lardo can be a part of many recipes and added to charcuterie plates or atop bruschetta. You may even serve paper-thin slices with roasted almonds and olives for a tasty appetizer.
Guanciale is an Italian-style of dry-aged bacon made from pork cheeks. It can taste especially wonderful in pasta carbonara. You can find many recipes for carbonara with guanciale online, including the following simple recipe from Eataly:
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ pound diced guanciale
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saute pan, heat the EVOO over medium heat and add in the guanciale. Wait until the guanciale becomes golden brown and crispy, and then remove the pan from the heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, cheese, and 1 tsp of black pepper.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and season with salt. Add the pasta to the pot and cook until al dente, then transfer the pasta to the large pan.
- Set over medium heat and add in the guanciale, tossing for a minute
- Remove the pan from the heat and add in the egg and cheese mixture. Toss gently and thoroughly.
- Divide equally and enjoy!
Authentic Italian Cuisine From Giolitti Deli
Giolitti Deli is a full-service Delicatessen in Annapolis, MD, specializing in authentic Italian cuisine. Founded in 1992, we use the freshest ingredients to make time-honed recipes from scratch, with no MSG or preservatives. We believe in real food and offer many healthy options, including vegetarian and vegan menu items. At Giolitti Deli, we make our own sauces, mozzarella, grilled and roasted vegetables, bread, pizza dough, and desserts, and our sandwiches, salads, pasta, pizza, and entrees are made to order. Owner Mary Giolitti has combined her passion for great food and fine wine to offer Annapolis a true taste of Italy!
Team members who also make the business possible include Manager Kathy Hunter, Manager and Catering Director Cheryl Molesky, Head Baker Porfirio Diaz, Chef Alfredo Escobar, and Deli Manager Noe Merino. To contact us, please visit our contact page or give us a call at 410.266.8600. Also, be sure to keep up with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and our blog!